Sunday, January 04, 2009

Dogtown Allstars, Books, Chess, Holgas, and Polka

I've been under a rock the last few weeks, so maybe I am the last to know about these two cool events. It's entirely possible. But were you to still be out in the cold, then this might interest you (or serve as a reminder of the coolness you don't want to miss).

Monday, Jan. 5, 7-8:30pm at the Central Library Branch (downtown)
Not So Quiet Concert Series Featuring the Dogtown Allstars

Ha-zizzle! I finally get to see these cats. I've been trying and missing the Dogtown Allstars their past few shows, but I shall put an end to that tomorrow. This event is free, and it's at the library, which is awesome on so many levels. And, since it's on a Monday, there are two bonuses: 1.) I get to go. 2.) The library also sponsors chess games on Monday nights. So, if you're a super geek like me who thinks chess is awesome, you can swing on down, hear some tunes and then play mind games. And you don't even have to play evil mind games-- just chess.

Friday, Jan. 9, 5:30-7:30 at RAC
(U City Loop, on Delmar east of Skinker)
Holga Polka Invitational

Here's the deal: 42 local artists (and some other folks, including local writers) were asked to take pictures with Holga cameras. I have become a big fan of these things since seeing some of the gorgeous work that is produced from such a simple machine. And I am always a sucker for images of our fair city, especially those captured by its inhabitants. And... there's polka. You may not know this about me, but in fifth grade when I played the clarinet, I loved playing polkas. It was the closest to feeling like a rock star that I ever came. So, between the photos and the polka that will be on display (and free) for your eyes and ears on Friday, I am feeling very excited. Should be good.

Holga Polka Info
SLPS Library Events
Dogtown Allstars

No comments: