Monday, January 12, 2009

Tim's Chrome Bar



I was just thinking about where I should have my Monday night drink, and a connection struck in my head: Tim's Chrome Bar. For whatever reason, I have found myself talking about this southside oldie-but-goodie a few times in the past couple weeks. Today, as I devoured my burrito at El Burrito Loco, I mentioned it again and then drove home that way just to see it shining there, across from the Bevo.

Tim's Chrome Bar is not necessarily the place to go for a killer beer, but it is great if you like people. I first went in there a few years ago when I was reviewing it, and it's stayed on my list for a while. Located at Gravois and Morgan Ford, the Chrome Bar is in an awesome part of town. The clientele is diverse in every way. On the edge of Little Bosnia on the southside, the customers tend more towards middle age in and unassuming way. Despite the rhinestone studded martini glasses on the back bar, there aren't a lot of fancy martinis here. Some karaoke, some cover bands on the weekends, long hair and Miller Lites. There's a dance floor where people dance to Guns n' Roses and Toby Keith country.



Flanking the dance floor/ stage are mirrors and then lit glass covered in the silhouettes of voluptuous women, a la the mud flaps on the back of a truck. The bar staff has always been awesome and friendly. Rail drinks hover around a couple of bucks, making a double-fisted round of a bourbon, a beer, and a tip run about $6.

It's really just a great southside bar, and well worth it. And if you're lookin' for a little dinner on the way, hit up Primo on Morgan Ford, just north of Chippewa. Not a lot of English, but a whole lot of great food, excellent service, and very well priced. Exceptional food really-- choose your dish and then pick your meat, including brains and tongue, if memory serves-- always a sign of deliciousness.

Tim's Chrome Bar
4736 Gravois Ave
St Louis, MO 63116
(314) 353-8138

Primo Taqueria
3642 Morganford Rd
St. Louis, MO 63116

El Burrito Loco
3611 Bates St
St Louis, MO 63116
(314) 457-8600

(BTW, the Loco has $1.99 margs from 3-6pm on Monday and Tuesday. Go.)

1 comment:

Allison said...

Sorry about the small pics. I didn't have time to pull them from my other hard drive, so I pulled thumbnails from my flickr account. Check there for bigger images of the same.